The Theatre Department at Centenary University provides a unique learn-by-doing educational experience where you will become part of a vibrant equity theatre company, the Centenary Stage Company (CSC). As part of CSC you will earn Equity Membership Candidate (EMC) points towards membership in Actors Equity Association, the professional union for actors. Unlike many professional theatres located on college and university campuses, Centenary students play an active and vital role in all professional productions from cast to crew, participating in all facets of production. Students are provided with valuable networking opportunities with artists who come to work with CSC throughout the year. These opportunities allow you to jump start your career while making important personal connections with working professionals. In addition, we have a Theatre for Young Audience touring program, made up exclusively of Centenary theatre students and alums who travel throughout the state during the academic year presenting a variety of educational theatre productions for school audiences. During the academic year there are also our in-house student productions that run the gamut from Shakespeare to musicals to cutting edge drama, all performed and presented by NEXTstage Repertory, our all student performance division.
As a student at Centenary, you will have the possibility of minoring, double majoring, and studying abroad. By entering a BA program in the liberal arts, you will be challenged to learn multiple skill sets to assist you in the ever changing world of theatre.
If any of us here in our department can help in any way, please don't hesitate to be in touch. Better yet, come to campus and spend some time with us. Call the box office at (908) 979 - 0900 to arrange for a time. Mention you are a prospective Theatre student.
- Performance Studies
- Technical Theatre
- Musical Theatre
- Costume Design
- Production Management
- Theatre Management
Centenary University Theatre Degree Program
Our proximity to New York City allows for a staff of instructors, artists and designers that are drawn from the ranks of working professionals including:
- Carl Wallnau - CSC Artistic Director, Chair of the Fine Arts Department (MFA,Rutgers University)
- Catherine Rust - CSC General Manager, Director of the Women Playwrights Series (WPS), (BA - University of Minnesota)
- Michael Blevins Director - Young Performers Workshop (YPW) (BFA - New York University)
- Lea Antolini-Lid - Director of YAS, Associate Professor of Theatre Arts (MFA - Brandeis University)
- Stephen Davis - Director Shakespearience, Associate Professor of Theatre Arts (MFA USC)
- Jeff Chase - Technical Director, Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts (MFA, University of Nevada-Las Vegas)
- Ashleigh Poteat - Resident Scenic/Costume Design, Assistant Professor of Theatre Arts (MFA, University of Nevada-Las Vegas)
Education at Centenary Stage Company
From its acting and master's classes for adults and young adults to the Young Performer's Workshop, a performance-based, musical theatre program for children aged 8 to 18 that has been lauded by the Star-Ledger as "the most professional kids troupe around", CPAG is committed to providing quality performing arts education to the Skylands region. For more information about the program, which is offered year-round, or other programs at the Centenary Performing Arts Guild, see one of the following Web pages or contact our administrative offices at 908 979-0900 / Online Feedback Form.
- Young Performers Workshop (ages 8-18)
- Tyro Theatre Program (ages 6-8 and Tyro II ages 9-11)
- Summer Dance Intensive (ages 13 and up)
- Summer Internship Program
- Four year Theatre Degree Program offered by Centenary University
- Adult Acting Classes
- Acting Instructors
- Intro To Comedy - 8-week Comedy Workshop for the public